Clayton Utz Firm Overview
Clayton Utz was founded in 1833 and today is one of the largest and most successful commercial law firms in Australia.
With teams of highly skilled and dedicated lawyers working across six offices nationally and a track record for providing consistent and commercial legal advice, Clayton Utz has a large base of loyal clients who have chosen the firm as their trusted legal advisers. The firm’s history is one of working closely with its clients to achieve commercial outcomes across many of the most significant transactions and issues in Australia and globally.
We have over 190 partners and 1,600 legal and support staff staff based in six offices around the country, in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra (the Federal capital), Darwin and Perth. Our clients include Australia’s largest corporations and financial institutions as well as Federal and State government agencies.
We have a reputation in the market for our innovative approach to complex transactions and litigation, and for our exceptional client service. Our focus is on building our capability in key and evolving practice areas and attracting the best lawyers in the market to work with us.
International relationships offer global solutions
Clayton Utz maintains strong relationships with leading firms around the globe. Rather than compete with offshore firms, we develop relationships with them. Through these strong relationships, international clients investing in Australia can be assured that Clayton Utz will perform as a streamlined member of their international legal team, providing the highest level of legal services in the most efficient and effective manner.
Clayton Utz takes its commitment to the community seriously
Our Community Connect program has three elements: community participation, our pro bono program and the Clayton Utz Foundation.
Pro bono work is an integral part of being a Clayton Utz lawyer, and represents more than 3 per cent of our total legal practice. This year we will act for 1,000 people who are disadvantaged and unable to obtain Legal Aid, and for the not-for-profit organisations which support them. Clayton Utz recognises that providing pro bono help is the inherent professional responsibility of every lawyer, and everyone at Clayton Utz, regardless of their seniority or area of law, is expected to conduct pro bono files as part of everyday legal practice.
Clayton Utz is a leader in pro bono in Australia, and was the first national firm to employ a full-time Pro Bono Director, to appoint a Pro Bono Partner and to promote a Pro Bono Senior Associate. We have provided over 300,000 hours of free legal assistance to almost 5,000 clients since we formalised our pro bono practice in 1997. Clayton Utz is a Foundation Signatory to the National Pro Bono Aspirational Target, and will average more than 45 hours of pro bono work this year for each of our lawyers.
The Clayton Utz Foundation is also an important part of our community involvement. In 2009, the Foundation made grants to over 48 charities and organisations and our people were involved in a range of volunteer community activities.
Providing the full spectrum of commercial legal services
Clayton Utz is organised into key departments – Corporate, Litigation/ Dispute Resolution, Banking & Financial Services and Real Estate, Environment and Construction.
- Corporate: Clayton Utz offers a truly integrated corporate advisory service across the full suite of corporate legal services needs including mergers and acquisitions, private equity, capital markets, governance and company law. Our experience is evidenced by our involvement in some of Australia’s largest and most complex corporate transactions over the past few years.
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution: Clayton Utz is regarded as Australia’s pre-eminent and largest litigation and dispute resolution practice, offering a top-tier, full service capability throughout Australia and the Asia Pacific region.Our lawyers have specialist expertise in all aspects of litigation, including general commercial litigation, product liability, class actions, insolvency, insurance, white collar crime and investigations (including investigations under the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act), intellectual property and information technology, tax, environment, competition/trade practices and international arbitration. We are particularly known for our ability to successfully run high-risk, high-profile and complex litigation.
- Construction and Major Projects: Clayton Utz’s Major Projects team is widely regarded as Australia’s leading practice, providing a totally integrated end to end service to advise on all aspects of major infrastructure projects and project financing within Australia and internationally. We advise the full spectrum of participants in infrastructure projects from owners, developers and project sponsors to Federal, State and Local Government agencies, financiers, project managers and contractors. The variety of stakeholders we have advised and the experience we have gained will provide you with a level of expertise that is unparalleled in the market. We know and understand both the practical and legal solutions participants in major projects are seeking to achieve. In addition to our technical and project management skills, we have an unrivalled depth and breadth of resources to draw on and importantly, a unique blend of legal skills available to you.
- Banking and Finance: Clayton Utz’ Banking and Financial Services practice is recognised as market leading. We are the first choice of major financial services and investment banking clients for many significant Australian transactions. We are particularly recognised for our leadership in the core financial services practice areas of: infrastructure and project finance, leveraged finance, corporate finance, structured property finance, retail banking and e-commerce, structured capital markets and financial services.
- Real Estate: The Clayton Utz national Real Estate practice is amongst the largest and well regarded in Australia. Independent publications have recognised our practice as ‘top-tier’ with Partners who are ‘leaders in their field’. We have worked in the Australian property market for over 30 years and cover all areas of property law (in Sydney and all over Australia), from property leasing, contract documentation, acquisitions and disposals to planning, development, financing, construction, project structuring, risk management, due diligence, title subdivision, property valuation, hotel management, strata and community schemes, dispute resolution and funds management. We remain at the forefront of the property industry by monitoring developments and new products in the Australian marketplace, and have acted on many of Australia’s largest property transactions for some of Australia’s major private and public organisations, such as Stockland, Brookfield Multiplex, AMP, Woolworths, Mirvac, Origin Energy, P P B, Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority, Barangaroo Delivery Authority and NSW Treasury. We have been and are presently involved in most of Australia’s leading property transactions.
What is Clayton Utz looking for in an applicant?
We seek candidates who have a demonstrated record of part time work (legal and/or non-legal), extra curricular activities, leadership roles and strong academic results.
We look for the ability to:
- build and maintain effective client relationships
- express ideas and concepts both verbally and in writing
- creatively solve problems
- balance priorities and tasks
- demonstrate leadership potential
- be open to change and diversity
- Applications open 25 February 2013
- Applications close 18 March 2013
For more details, contact:
People and Development Manager
Level 28, Riparian Plaza
71 Eagle St,
Brisbane QLD 4000
Telephone: +61 7 3292 7419