DLA Piper is the truly local, truly global law firm where everything matters.
Joining DLA Piper means not only joining an experienced local team, but also being part of a global network of 4,200 lawyers in 77 offices and 31 countries around the world. Globally, our lawyers provide clients with trusted local knowledge as well as seamless multi-jurisdictional legal capabilities across a full range of critical services and sectors. In Asia Pacific we have offices in Bangkok, Beijing, Brisbane, Canberra, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Perth, Shanghai, Singapore, Sydney and Tokyo.
In Australia, our lawyers advise approximately a third of ASX 100 companies or their subsidiaries and all levels of government as well as international clients looking to enter the Australian market. Our ‘everything matters’ approach applies not only to how we support our clients but also to the communities and environment in which we operate. In fact, our lawyers undertook more than 190,000 hours of pro bono legal work globally last year, making us one of the largest providers of pro bono legal services in the world.
- Corporate: Doing deals in a fast paced global economy provides exciting challenges and rewards for the lawyers in our Corporate team. Our Asia Pacific Corporate team is at the heart of every major commercial decision facing our market leading clients. We advise on aggressive growth strategies and on minimising the risks associated with major transactions. You’ll be part of a team comprising more than 600 lawyers worldwide, advising on local and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, IPOs, private equity investments and significant corporate advisory matters. If you are passionate about helping clients navigate complex legal issues to achieve successful business outcomes, this is the team for you.
- Finance & Projects: We don’t have to tell you that finance and infrastructure projects mean big business in Australia, particularly in the energy and resources sector. Our lawyers have helped deliver groundbreaking private finance agreements and advised on the development, financing, acquisition and operation of complex infrastructure projects both within Australian, and overseas, particularly in Africa and Asia. We’re regularly representing joint ventures, commercial and investment banks, private equity funds, insurance companies, institutional investors, contractors, developers and more in this dynamic area of law.
- Intellectual Property & Technology: Working in one of the most internationally connected, cross-border areas of law, our intellectual property and technology team helps local and global clients sell or acquire technology as well as manage their brands or diverse IP portfolios around the world. Our work in this space stretches across industries including sport, media, entertainment, franchising, pharmaceutical, retail, insurance and financial services, mining and engineering. It’s all about understanding the latest developments that are important for IP and technology rich businesses and helping our clients to manage their risks while optimising the value of their assets. You’ll need a good commercial brain and an eye for detail – and be prepared to live on the leading edges of technology and the law.
- Real Estate: DLA Piper has the world’s leading Real Estate practice. It aims to deliver on its promises of ‘one team, no borders’ and being a ‘one stop shop for real estate’. In Australia it is comprised of specialist real estate and planning and environment teams. We use our knowledge of the local laws and the real estate sector to provide a global service to our increasingly global client base. We work seamlessly with our Asia Pacific colleagues to take a relationship-driven approach that brings innovative, commercial solutions to all stages of the property investment and development cycle.
- Litigation & Regulatory: As commercial disputes increase amid ongoing global economic uncertainty, they are also becoming more complex and cross-jurisdictional. Our strong local, regional and global litigation and regulatory team is focused on solving complex issues, as well as helping our clients avoid disputes in the first place. Working in one of the largest teams in Asia Pacific you’re bound to get involved with some of most interesting cases in the region.
- Workplace Relations, Employment & Safety: The biggest investment most organisations make is in their people, so managing workplace issues is vital. Many are attracted to employment law due to the very human issues that are involved. Your work can have a direct impact on the success of your clients’ business and on real lives. It’s an area that is constantly changing so you’ll need to keep on your toes.
- Ranked #1 in the world among the Top 20 Global Law Firms by LAW360 ranking 2012
- Ranked #1 globally by volume of M&A transactions in 2010 – mergermarket
- Ranked #7 among the ‘Global Elite’ law firms for having one of the strongest law firm brands worldwide – Acritas, 2010
- 273 DLA Piper lawyers ranked as leaders in their fields – Chambers & Partners 2010
- Best Queensland firm at the BRW Client Choice Awards 2011
- Corporate Citizen Firm of the Year finalist at the ALB Awards 2011
- Law Firm of the Year finalist at the ANZIIF Insurance Industry Awards 2011
- International Tax Team of the Year at the China Law & Practice Awards 2011
- TMT Deal of the Year at the Asian Legal Business China Law Awards 2011
Brisbane Summer Clerk Program
As a Summer Clerk your career begins with a comprehensive induction program. You will have the opportunity to gain practical experience and participate in on-the-job training, informal Lunch & Learn sessions as well as social events. At the conclusion of the clerkship you will be provided with structured feedback to help you grow and develop for the next stage of your career.
With DLA Piper Australia you can build your career in a full range of areas of law and contribute to what we consider to be, the most exciting law firm round.
Application dates (for 2013 / 2014 program)
- Applications open: 25 February 2013
- Applications close: 18 March 2013
- Interviews commence: 1 April 2013
- Offers made: 13 May 2013
Want to know more?
For more information regarding our recruitment programs, please contact:
Human Resources Manager
Telephone: +61 7 3246 4000