Legal assistance

During your time studying, you may come across some tricky situations that need legal advice or simply require a JP to witness documents for you.

Legal Aid Queensland

Legal Aid Queensland (LAQ) provides free legal information on the LAQ website, by telephone, or face to face at one of 14 offices and various community access points across Queensland. LAQ also provides legal advice, representation, and specialist services.

Contact LAQ for more information.

Community Legal Centres Queensland

Community legal centres provide free or low-cost legal services. Community Legal Centres Queensland can help you find your nearest community legal centre or a centre that specialises in a particular area of law.

Contact Community Legal Centres Queensland for more information.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service (Qld) Ltd

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service (ATSILS) is a community-based organisation that provides professional and culturally proficient legal services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people across Queensland.

Contact ATSILS for more information.

Queensland Indigenous Family Violence Legal Service

Queensland Indigenous Family Violence Legal Service (QIFVLS) provides culturally appropriate legal and support services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who are victims of family violence.

Contact QIFVLS for more information.

Justice of the Peace

You may need to visit a Justice of the Peace or a Commissioner for Declarations who can:

  • witness documents

  • witness statutory declarations

  • witness affidavits

  • witness and administer oaths and affirmations

  • certify a true copy of an original document.

The Student Guild offers a Justice of the Peace service to all Griffith students and staff. This service operates from orientation week until the end of exams each trimester.

Alternatively, you can find out information about where JPs are located around in your local community.

You won’t receive legal advice. JPs and Cdecs are not legally qualified to advise you on your legal matter.

You will be questioned. A JP or Cdec will ensure you understand the document you are bringing. They can refuse to sign or witness a document if they are not satisfied you understand it.

When seeing a JP or Cdec, make sure that you:

  • understand the form you are asking them to witness, and its consequences

  • bring all required identification and supporting documents

  • be patient—JPs and Cdecs are volunteers giving their time to assist you

  • respect the time they spend assisting you.

If you need a signature witnessed, do not bring pre-signed documents. The JP or Cdec needs to see the signing take place.


Some information displayed on this page was written by the Queensland Government.
It is used here by Griffith LSA under the
CC BY 4.0 license.
The text in some cases has been modified.
The Queensland Government does not endorse Griffith LSA or our use of their information.